|Messianic Judaism is just a rehash of the
"First Heresy" of The Catholic Church.
Years ago, when I first became aware of Messianic Jews, I have a congregation right near
me, I thought the concept of a Jew believing in Christ was great! I thought this would be a
way or a link to ancient Jews and present day Christianity.
But, on further consideration I saw another way of looking at Messianic Jews. As I was in
prayer one day, contemplating what I thought about the subject I felt as though God was
telling me something. He was telling me that I had it all wrong. That rather than being a
help to believing in God, Messianic Jews were the first heresy.
The "First Heresy"... Something to consider. Was I hearing God correctly? Then I
remembered The First Council of Jerusalem in The Acts of The Apostles. In Acts chapter
15 it was decided to stop practicing the Mosaic Law by St. Peter and the First Council of
I felt a bit disappointed, by the inspiration. However, I want to follow the truth of God at all
Messianic Judaism is just a rehash for the First heresy of The Catholic Church.
I recently had some discussions with a friend who mistakenly believes that Messianic
Judaism has been around since the time of Jesus.
When I asked for proof, none was offered. The person merely acted as though their
statement, that Messianic Jews always existed is fact. I, personally, need a little more proof
to go on. So, I looked up when Messianic Jews started. I found something in Wikipedia an
Messianic Judaism - is a religious movement that differs from mainstream Christianity and
from Judaism by combining elements of each into a single faith.
History - The Messianic Judaism movement of today grew out of the Hebrew-Christian
movement of the 19th century. Hebrew-Christian congregations began to emerge in
England; the first of these was Beni Abraham, in London, which was founded by forty-one
Hebrew-Christians. This led to a more general awareness of their Jewish identity for
Christians with a Jewish background. In 1866, the Hebrew-Christian Alliance of Great
Britain was organized, with branches also existing in several European countries and the
United States. A similar group, The Hebrew Christian Alliance of America (HCAA), was
organized in the U.S. in 1915. The International Hebrew-Christian Alliance (IHCA) was
organized in 1925 (later becoming the International Messianic Jewish Alliance). Additional
groups were formed during subsequent decades.
Modern Messianic Judaism emerged in the 1960s. A major shift in the movement
occurred when Martin Chernoff became the President of the HCAA (1971–1975). In June
1973, a motion was made to change the name of the HCAA to the Messianic Jewish Alliance
of America (MJAA) and the name was officially changed in June 1975. The name change
was significant as more than just a "semantical expression;" as Rausch states, "It
represented an evolution in the thought processes and religious and philosophical outlook
toward a more fervent expression of Jewish identity." 
When the movement began to become larger, new organizations such as the Messianic
Israel Alliance and the Coalition of Torah Observant Messianic Congregations arose.
These organizations disagreed with UMJC's stance over the issue of Gentile observance of
the Torah, and whether it is obligatory, or not.
Jerusalem, in Acts 15.
If that isn't enough, here is some other scripture that might explain why there were no more
Messianic Jews after the Council.
1. The apostle Paul, a Jew said, "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).
2. "ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).
3. "CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).
4. "NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF
THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).
5. "YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE
JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).
6. "IF YOU ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW" (Gal. 5:18).
7. "WHATEVER THE LAW SAYS, IT SPEAKS TO THOSE WHO ARE UNDER THE LAW
(Jews who are not born again)" (Rom. 3:19).
8. "THOSE WHO ARE CIRCUMCISED [JEWS] DO NOT EVEN KEEP THE LAW
THEMSELVES" (Gal. 6:11).
9. "IF RIGHTEOUSNESS COULD BE GAINED THROUGH [KEEPING] THE LAW, CHRIST
DIED FOR NOTHING!" (Gal. 2:21).
10. "GENTLES...DO NOT HAVE THE LAW...THEY DO NOT HAVE THE LAW" (Rom. 2:14)
(Gentiles never have and never will have the Law.)
11. "NO ONE WILL BE DECLARED RIGHTEOUS IN HIS [GOD'S] SIGHT BY OBSERVING
THE LAW" (Rom. 3:20).
12. "SIN SHALL NOT BE YOUR MASTER, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW, BUT
UNDER GRACE [Grace is the God-given desire and power to do His will]" (Rom. 6:14).
13. "WE HAVE BEEN RELEASED FROM THE LAW SO THAT WE SERVE IN THE NEW
WAY OF THE SPIRIT, AND NOT IN THE OLD WAY OF THE WRITTEN CODE" (Rom. 7:6).
14. "CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW ... FOR EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES" (Rom. 10:4).
15. THE LAW IS "THE MINISTRY OF DEATH...[AND] CONDEMNATION" (2 Cor. 3:7 & 9).
As we can see St. Paul continually preached against relying on the Law for